Thursday, August 21, 2008

Galactosemia Update

We received some good news today.  Lillie does not have full blown (classic) Galactosemia but rather a variant of it called Duarte's version.  It means that she has some capacity to break down milk sugars.  We will receive a second set of test results either on Friday or Monday that will better tell us how to proceed with feedings, but for the time being, I am allowed to alternate nursing sessions with soy formula.  

From what the doctor told me, she may be able to switch back to nursing full time depending on what we find out from the second set of tests.  She would just be monitored to make sure the milk sugar isn't building up in her system.  

So, for the past week, I had been pumping to maintain my supply and I'm relieved to find out that all that stored milk will go to good use!  All I can say is that it's a good thing that we have a chest freezer!

6 comments:

N. said...

I'm so glad to hear it was good news!

Julia Goolia said...

I'm glad to hear she is most likely okay! HAng in there, I'm sure the sleep deprivation is killer.

Maria said...

"chest freezer" - no pun intended there, right? LOL!!

I'm glad to hear good news!!

Krissy said...

That's great to hear -- I hope the second set of tests bring equally good news!

Aimee said...

Yeah! Hope you get good news with the second test as well. Keep us posted!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that Lillie is healthy. She is adorable - can't wait for more pictures!