Thursday, March 6, 2008

Made some decisions

I purchased our crib today.  Shown below, in the coffee finish, is the Renew Standard Crib by Rockland.  I saved $50 off the original price and got free shipping.  Grand total (including tax):  $212


I started feeling really guilty about spending a lot of money on bedding!  I seem to have very expensive taste and most of the sets that I was looking at were in the $350 to $450 range!  I wound up buying the bedding below...well, almost!

It's called Bali by Cocalo Couture.  Instead of buying the ensemble and accessories, I purchased the panel drapes for $85 and with that fabric, I am going to make a box pleat bed skirt.  I will accent with a solid (maybe turquoise) crib sheet and I will be making my own "breathable" crib bumper with a celery green fabric similar to the color used in the current bumper pad shown.

With the leftover stripe fabric, I'll also cover two drum lamp shades (lamps were handed down from my grandma - originally purchased by my Aunt Cindy) and line the inside of a basket used for organizing diapers, wipes, and creams on the dresser.  I may go back at a later time and purchase a few decorative accessories from the collection - they have everything from mobiles to rugs, to pillows available.

I'll also be making drapes for the room.  There are three windows which will require 120" panels.  I'll make these out of solid turquoise fabric, incorporating the stripe fabric along the bottom 12 to 15" of the panel to "weight" the drapes and tie them back into the theme.  

I think I'll be painting the nursery Behr Asparagus (thanks Sherry for the recommendation) but I'll make the final decision once I have the fabric in hand.  I have a few other ideas for wall decor but I'll save those for another post!

Other fun things I've been lusting over...

This diaper bag from Skip Hop.  I like it because of it's versatility.  In addition to wearing it like a traditional bag, you can also clip it to your stroller!


The Chicco Polly Adventure high chair.  We probably won't register for once since baby won't need it until 6 months of age or so.  We're really trying to focus on getting the baby's immediate needs met first!

The Chicco Key Fit 30 Infant Car Seat.  Love the color, love the fact that it's lightweight, but most importantly, love the fact that it passed every one of Consumer Reports crash tests with flying colors!

Dream Stroller - the Valco Runabout Trimode.  It looks like a jogging stroller, but it's actually intended for urban lifestyle baby raising.  It's great for walks that involve a lot of curbs, uneven sidewalks, and bumps in the road.  Since our baby will spend more time walking around the neighborhood than walking around the mall, this type of stroller is a better fit for us.  But at $425, it may just stay a dream.

More realistic option:  The Chicco C5 Stroller.  At under $150, this is a more appropriate option that still gets good reviews.  It's not designed for all terrains, but it's also about a third of the price!  There is also a recline feature on this stroller, but some real life moms complain that it doesn't recline far back enough for their baby to sleep in.  This stroller, in combination with the fact that I hope to "babywear" for the first few months, should be a good combination.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Christie! That bedding is great, but what you are describing in your plans sounds ten times better. I love the mix of solids and stripes. I can't wait to see the outcome!

Sherry said...

I love your crib choice and those fabrics and colors! I picked out something very similar, it is the Lauren crib from Babi Italia (it's under the Graco brand name at Target). I just couldn't justify spending $400 on the dream crib! We're heading to Ikea next weekend to get a dresser, actually probably the Hemnes one we already have in black/brown, and to look at fabrics and curtains.

I love the Skip Hop bags too, I registered for one in black. I registered for the Chico Polly high chair, but I am lusting after the Fisher Price Zen line - it comes out in April. But I cannot justify a $175 high chair!

Sigh. I have expensive tastes as well. Everything looks so great, you're so on top of everything!

Julia Goolia said...

Oh sweet Jesus. I need to start saving NOW for a kid, huh? I'd be able to justify dropping major dough on this adorable stuff....and I love your tastes, of course.

can't wait to see it all come together.

Christie & Roger said...

Julia - Yes, it is amazing how fast it adds up! If my crib would have been available at BRU, I would have registered for it. We're only putting the bare essentials on a registry. I'd rather get a swing and a pack n play than 40 cute outfits and receiving blankets! By the way, not including hospital costs when you deliver, the average family spends $6000 to raise a child to the first year. This list includes things like maternity clothes for mom, but still! It's a definitely intimidating! And you really don't want to be stressing about how you're going to afford diapers for little Johnny once he's already here!

Christie & Roger said...

Sherry - I love your crib choice. We totally would have gone with something like that except for the fact that we are placing the side of the crib against the wall instead of the back end like people typically do. I thought it would look funny if one side was higher than the other (looking at it from how we would have it placed in the room). Between the paint color and the dresser, our babies are going to be twinkies! We could volunteer to babysit for each other and our kids would feel like they were at home! Oh yeah, and thanks for the heads up about the zen line! What a perfect time to be pregnant!